Tax Forms & Information
Under the Affordable Care Act, most Americans are required to have health insurance. The insurance policy selected must meet the healthcare reform standards, or else individuals may have to pay a penalty when they file their income tax returns. The IRS has three new tax forms for this purpose: 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C. How you purchased health insurance in 2016 will determine which form you will receive and who you receive it from.
Members who purchased coverage through healthcare.gov will receive a 1095-A.
- Healthcare.gov will send a 1095-A form to both you and the IRS if you bought 2016 individual health insurance from the marketplace at healthcare.gov. You may use this form for your 2016 taxes.
- If your form is incorrect, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596.
Members who purchased directly from NMHC (both individual and group members) will receive a 1095-B.
- We (NMHC) will send you a 1095-B for health coverage if you bought your health insurance directly from NMHC and didn’t go through healthcare.gov, or if you had NMHC coverage through your employer in 2016.
- Learn more about the 1095-B tax form sent from NMHC below.
Members who work for a large group employer may receive a 1095-C.
- This form shows the coverage that was offered to you by your employer.
For more information
To learn more, please For more information, call your tax advisor or visit the IRS Questions and Answers for Healthcare Information Forms for Individuals page.
The 1095-B tax form is proof that you had the type of coverage required by the Affordable Care Act. This form notifies the IRS that you had coverage and for how long. We fill out the form and send it to the IRS for you. We also send you a copy to look over. You may receive more than one form if you changed your insurance at any time throughout the year.
You can view this form on the IRS website. The form will be completed by NMHC to include the following information for each person covered on your policy:
If we are missing the taxpayer ID or Social Security numbers for anyone on your policy, you will receive a letter from us requesting this information. The letter will explain why we need the information and how to send it to us securely.
- Date of birth
- Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number)
- Months of coverage with us
Depending on your insurance situation, you may get more than one letter.
How do I know if I should get a 1095-B form?
We will send you a 1095-B form if:
- You bought your coverage directly from us and didn’t go through healthcare.gov.
- Your NMHC employer coverage was through us and met the healthcare reform standards.
When will I receive my 1095-B form?
You should receive your form by mid-February. If you need another copy of it, call our Customer Service department at 1-855-7MY-NMHC (1-855-769-6642), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 p.m., and request a new one.
What if I get my 1095-B form and it isn’t correct?
If the information on your 1095-B is incorrect, please follow the instructions on your letter or call our Customer Service department at 1-855-7MY-NMHC (1-855-769-6642), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 p.m.
To learn more, please visit the IRS Questions and Answers about Healthcare Information Forms for Individuals page.